Sunday, September 7, 2008

Something's Fishy at Chez Reed

Thanks in large part to Peter and David, we still have three fish swimming freely at the Reed house. Cleaning their three bowls has become a Saturday ritual.

She's named them Grace, Clementine and Alison. The two snails are Jennifer and Jenna. Jenna the gold fish, you may recall, didn't make it home from the Fair.

Ali thought Auntie Jen and Jenna Tokash would love having snails named after them, so I hope they understand the honor and aren't weirded out. Snails aren't really all that much fun, but they both are still alive, too... Well, I know one of them is alive because it sticks itself to the side. The other one sinks to the bottom. Alison says it likes it there. I'm not so sure it's capable of decision making.

Ali is really hoping for a big tank with more fish. I suspect if that ever happens, both Jen and Jenna will get better billing.

Alison is pretty good about feeding the fish only just enough, and we've both gotten better about making sure the gravel doesn't get into the garbage disposal. I still get the great duty of making sure the fish poo gets out of the rocks. No one told me about this part of motherhood... And if you don't know this already, goldfish poo a lot.

Alison is sure the amount of fish defecation is directly related to me over feeding them. But they look so hungry and bored just swimming around in circles. Sometimes I give them a little extra just to perk up their day. Ali puts her hands on her hips at least twice a week, cocks her head and says, "Mo-oom. Please tell me you're not feeding the fish again! It's not good for them!"

Um, they're still alive, I remind her. No one's jumped out of the bowl in a suicide pact. And as long as it's me pushing the poo out, I'm going keep on keeping them happy from time to time.

Ali thinks she's trained Grace (the Beta who arrived in January) to follow her finger.

I'm not telling her that when I walk by they all beat a path to the surface and start chattering to me by opening and closing their little mouths. I swear they make noise. "Feed me! Feed me! I'm going crazy in here!"

No comments: