Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Things that make you go boom!

A couple of years ago, Jeff Reed stumbled onto a local fireworks store where he struck up a conversation that turned into a negotiation with Tom Vielee, who was to become our good friend. Jeff can spend hundreds of dollars on fireworks, but he only likes to shell out the dough when he thinks he's getting a deal.

After about six days of negotiation, he was happy with his deal. He packed up his semi-tractor trailer full of blow-em up stuff and started home, only to realize that he'd shorted his new BFF $50. So he gets home, gets to the bank, and goes back , cash in hand.

He forks over the cash and heads out the door, only to hear "Hey, Mr. Reed," shouted out at him. It was John Vielee and his crew. Jeff went over to talk to them, and Tom, attracted by the shouting, looked out the window.

He walks out, says to his brother John, "Do you know this guy?"

John owns up to knowing Jeff (John at the time was my friend Lisa Sirkin's boyfriend). Tom put his arm around Jeff, and says, "Come on back inside. Friends get a special discount."

So Jeff fell even more in love with Tom.

So tonight, I had to go to Fishers on an errand, and I realized I had no cash. I went to the ATM, but I had only twenties, and I needed a ten. I'm looking for a place where I can buy a tiny item to get change, and Karin and I see a fireworks store. She goes in with my wallet while I wait in the car with the kids. I think to myself, "Self, I think you got a flyer from Tom Vielee recently that said he had a store in Fishers. Maybe this is his. Nah..."

So Karin gets back in the car with three tiny fireworks for the kids, extolling the virtue of the guy inside the store. "He was so nice! He told me he'd just give me change and that I didn't have to buy anything, but I went ahead and got something small," she said.

I described Tom to her. "That's totally him!" she said.

That Tom. What a nice guy. To give equal billing, the business is owned by both him and his oh-so-cool wife, Diane. If you're in the Indianapolis area, and you have a need for fireworks, go see Tom. He's great. He'll give you great fireworks, and he may give you a bargain... People who buy before June 27 get an extra 20 percent off.


Locations:

Castleton: 465 and Allisonville (next to Mike’s Carwash)

McCordsville: SR 67 & Pendleton Pike (nest to Joe’s Grille)

Call Tom with any questions...997-4425.

2 comments:

hoosiermamma37 said...

Let me know if you are still wanting to have the fireworks out at Jeff and Bridgets place. I know it won't be a problem for them, just need to let them know.
BTW...I was one of the unfortunate ones during the recent flood. I was on my way to work at 5:30 in the morning and got into some water that was way deep. Needless to say my car is dead.....and now I am the proud driver of a 2006 Chevy Uplander. Must say that it was a very scarey experience, but at least I survived....lol.
Once again just let me know if you want to go out to Jeffs.
Lots of love to you and yours

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry about the flood damage. I'm glad you're safe, though.

I think Donna is hoping to host at her house, but we should be in town overnight. Maybe we can get together?