Sunday, June 22, 2008

Likability theory

As many of you know, I've often been accused by the man of the house of being too lenient with Alison, giving in too soon and not being as strict as I should be. I plead guilty, usually. But it's not like I'm a total pushover. I have, on many occasions, gotten firm with the girl. But mostly, I think childhood should be fun. Plus, I have a secret theory that I'm just really, really likable.

My theory, however, was put to the test last week.

We have an arrangement with the Ogdens that they deliver the kids to summer day camp and the Reeds pick up. That gives the kids a little bit of play time at both houses. Apparently, the Ogdens prefer that I pick them up, rather than their mother. Karin got a little tired of hearing about the fun they have at the Reeds. "What is it with the frickin' Reeds, anyway? Why do you want to go there?" she finally asked through gritted teeth.

The two little cherubs twirp: "Mrs. Reed gives us candy. You only give us carrot sticks and yogurt."

While I was chagrined and thought for a moment that Jeff may actually be right about me, I have a second example of how it just may be my natural charm.

My friend and colleague Jackie was in town for work and was supposed to bring her kids to an after-work party on Friday. She ended up not bringing them, but we did get to meet the next day when she forgot something at work and we had to go downtown to get it. We hung out a bit, the girls played and had a great time. Ava is 5. She and Ali made fast friends, so it was natural that when we got in separate cars to go downtown, she wanted to ride with Ali and me. This continued at each of our stops. Jackie wondered if this rejection of her mother's driving was normal. I credited the presence of Ali, but sure, the Cheryl likability theory kicked in.

As they left for their journey back to Chicago, I stocked Jackie up with water, milk and snacks for Ava and Eli. Here's an excerpt of her account of the trip. "...... the first two hours (despite FOUR pee breaks) was heaven due to the horde of snacks I had accumulated from the Reed home. Every time I heard a whimper, back went a snack pack (I only took four, I swear) and then it was the sound of happy munching and slurping until the request to pee occurred (an easy task compared to fighting). I also got an earful on Alison Reed and how she was the new best friend and that they were going to go boating the next visit to Indy. I offered to be the chaperone to which my child (the traitor) responded "That's ok Mommy, Cheryl will take us instead."

Clearly, I rock. :)

The work party on Friday was a lot of fun. As evidence,
I post this photo of the Ogden kids and Alison.
They wanted desperately to see midnight. None did.


We put them into proper beds for the night.

No comments: