Sunday, June 15, 2008

Kaboom!

I am not a fan of cleaning the toilet. If I wasn't so darn cheap, I'd avail myself of the thing I think all working women deserve: a house cleaner. If not the full monty, at least someone to clean the toilets.

For anyone who has a job and works at it even a little bit, you deserve some help with the worst cleaning job in the house. I mean, really. I don't even like having to use the facilities let alone clean them up afterward.

When we moved into our house, we had one bathroom, and it came fully equipped. We've changed out the sink, but have the original toilet and tub. As long as we've lived here, there's been a line around the toilet's water's edge. In the other two bathrooms that we added, we've had issues that I won't go into.

I've poured bleach into the toilets, trying to get them clean. Once I mixed ammonia, bleach, Comet and vinegar, then closed the lid and did some other kind of cleaning. When I remembered my project, I went in, lifted the lid and nearly passed out. Jeff said I made mustard gas and could have blown up the whole house. After I came to, I checked the bowl. The line was still there.

But this week, I found Kaboom Bowl Blaster. It's a miracle powder that you just pour into the toilet. It foams up. If you have a really bad mess, you leave it longer and scrub it. If you have only normal stains, it apparently lifts them off like magic.

I never buy anything from TV, and apparently this stuff made its name on the infommercial circuit. I stumbled across it at Target where I was planning to buy the eco-friendly stuff. I wanted to believe something that would eat through decades of fecal stain would also be gentle and good to the Earth, but I was a doubter. The Kaboom said it would work, and I had no reason to disbelieve it. Plus, it was in a purple bottle.

I had to scrub a little bit, but the filth is gone! I haven't told Jeff yet that he's not allowed to ever sully our toilets again. It's Father's Day. I thought I'd give him one last, um, go....

No comments: