Monday, June 2, 2008

Harleys among us


Finally, I've found something that my family and Jeff's family have in common other than their great love for me (ha!) We have a shared love of Harley riders among some of us.

My sister Debbie and her husband Steve got their bike a few summers ago, I think, and with the departure of Annie to college this fall, I think they're going to be on the bike a lot. My sister-in-law Jen and her boyfriend, Peter, are also big-time bikers. Jen has all the leather to go with it, although she has yet to share herself in pictures. I have only this shot of Peter's beast to showcase.

I know Deb and Steve are planning a road trip to Niagra Falls. I think the two couples should rendezvous.

I put the Harley connect together because Debbie called me Sunday to tell me she was in town for a fundraiser for Riley Hospital for Children, here in Indianapolis.

All of Bickels have a soft spot for Riley, Deb more than any of us. They took care of her son, Billy, who passed away from a form of cancer when he was just about Alison's age. Johnney, Billy's younger brother, was treated there for the same illness, and I think he still receives care there even though he's now way taller than pretty much any of the rest of us. Alison had her tonsils out there. Jeff sees someone there for his hearing problems. It's just a great hospital, and we all think the world of the place.

But Deb and Steve did more than just think good thoughts for Riley – they rode in the Miracle Ride, which was a motorcyclists’ fundraiser for the hospital. The shot shown is of just one parking lot of bikers. There was another one just as full.

If you’re ever in need of a place to give your money, Riley is greatly deserving. They can’t save every child who comes their way, but they do their best. And they bring light into some really dark and dismal days for both the families and the kids.

Deb and Steve got to ride around the Indianapolis 500 track – she claims they hit 80 mph at one point.

I’m sure Steve was driving. The last time Debbie drove to Indy she ended up near Ohio, I think before she realized she’d missed her exit. That may be a slight exaggeration and it could easily have been to Illinois she was headed, I can't remember. I’m a bad driver. Deb’s a bad navigator.

While she thinks she has my hair, Alison, in fact, has Debbie's hair, which you can see from the photo over there.

And as of Friday, Debbie had replaced Donna as Alison's favorite Indiana aunt. I met Deb, Steve and Annie at the airport Friday to wish Annie good travels to Europe(a 3-week trip with the SHS German Club) and to pick up the Littlest Pet Shops that Ali had left behind the previous weekend in Jasonville. Alison was pretty quick to switch her allegiance -- though she was prompted a bit.

Sorry the post is late. I was literally in bed all weekend trying to recover from a nasty cold. I'm way better, but still occasionally sound like a chronic smoker.






No comments: