Monday, June 2, 2008

Notes from my sickbed

I was sick most of the weekend, which left Jeff in charge of the care and feeding of Alison Reed. Karin Ogden kicked in for a good portion of that on Saturday/Sunday which was a great help, too.

Notes from my sickbed:

Alison watched a bit of cartoons while watching over me Saturday afternoon. At one point I was making her Littlest Pet Shops talk when one of them asked who those other folks in the house were. "That tall, loudish guy is my dad," Alison said.

"Oh, so that other person must be your mom," said Iggy, the Iguana.

"Yes. She looks exactly like me but she's way, way taller and she had a job," Ali explained.

***

Alison came back exclaiming about some ants she'd seen outside. I think it must be mating season for ant -- not that I really know how they mate -- but in any event, she claimed to have seen an ant that had two heads.

"It was like Ant-enstein!" she said. (i.e. like Frankenstein...get it? :)

***

On Saturday, I thought I was feeling better and Alison was still on the bed watching cartoons. I reached over to hug her. She scuttled away.

"Uh, Mom. I love you but I do NOT want your germs," said my little Florence Nightengale.

***

As my local friends know from living through it, we had a little tornado in Indianapolis this weekend. We had a few more sticks in the yard and lost power for several hours but we got that back and suffered only some water in our basement. Others were far worse off. Our neighbors three doors away from us still don't have power, and a bunch of folks on the Eastside of town are have lost homes.

While I was in my NyQuil haze, Jeff took care of watching the weather alerts, getting Ali and me to the basement for the night, putting our furniture up in the basement when the rains started, cleaning up the water after and generally taking care of everything. And then, he grilled up a great dinner for Teams Reed and Ogden Sunday night.

It's good to have a partner who'll step in like that. And, as he lovingly reminded me, "One day I'll be sick all weekend and you can take care of everything!" Or maybe he was thinking of that long baseball weekend he and Bob Johnson are planning in August..... In either case, he stepped up big this weekend and I owe him.

No comments: