Sunday, May 12, 2019

One of these is not like the others

I know most moms like to have breakfast in bed or a fancy brunch or dinner on a day like today. And that's wonderful. I hope every mom -- and every woman who mothers -- had exactly the day they wanted.

As for me, I never do a good job of giving Jeff and Ali a list of things they should consider as suitable Mother's Day gifts. They always rise to the occasion, though, and I've been showered in flowers and gifts from the extreme to the silly in the 18 years I've qualified for attention on this annual day.

This year, though, they've outdone themselves.

  • Flowers, yes. But this year's crop were new types AND there were fresh cut and some lilies to plant if the cold, cold rain ever stops.
  • Jeff mowed the yard yesterday while Ali and I went to a Girl Talk brunch and then she had a study session and I worked out. This is a big deal because A: I wasn't expecting it and B: Jeff would rather clean toilets with a toothbrush than do yard work. That's my domain, and he gives me merciless grief when I fret over weeds or leaves or the general scrub-grass nature of our lawn.
    • I even won a basket of wine at the brunch. We'll use the wine for an upcoming sleepover with Aunt La, Amy and Jenna.
  • A King Rib feast greeted us when we got home, too.
  • Ali and I spend the morning in my bed watching trashy TV. Jeff had gone off to basketball, so we had the house to ourselves, and it was glorious. His game was unexpectedly cancelled, so he came home early. He shook his head because he hates trashy TV, and he also brought us popcorn. For breakfast. Kind of. We had to leave Savannah and Chase still dealing with their LA adventure to go to a girls' movie: The Hustle. But we did it in our pajamas.
    • "Let's be THOSE people," Ali said, when she suggested that instead of trinkets, her gift to me could be an experience. We were totally those people. The ticket-taker was a kid from Ali's school, and he greeted her by name. She didn't know him, but here's the thing: Even at Herron High School where kids give themselves new names, have hair of every pastel shade known to man (and some unknown) Ali's hair stands out. She may also be the school bully or its guardian. Or it might be her love of profanity for all I know, but even in that school where individuality is a celebrated art, she's recognizable."Yeah, I can't ever be a spy or disappear in a crowd," she said. 
  • Jeff's opened our last bottle of Venus, an Agrapart & Fils champagne. It's one of the best champagnes we've ever had.
  • Ali and I are about to finish off "Growing up Chrisley" because it's still rainy and cold out, which doesn't make for a hospitable environment for planting my new flowers.
  • Oh! And there was a real gift, too. My sister Debbie made a corner shelving unit out of doors. It's super cute and will look perfect on my back porch. I can't wait for its delivery. It's extra special because it's a sister-made product. There aren't a lot of those around...

It may not be a fancy day, but it's been wonderful and just about as good a day as I could have ordered up. I think we're having breakfast for dinner..... which if I've been a very good mom, means pancakes. 

Hope you're having a great day. Whatever that means for you. (No: we did not brush our hair.)


No comments: