Monday, May 20, 2019

I have the best in-laws in the history of marriage, but that's not getting me out of cleaning.

It's been approximately 743 years since I really cleaned my house. It's neat, and I get most of the surface grime every week or so, but deep cleaning is a special occasion. Say when your only child is preparing to graduate and family is coming in from out-of-town and out-of-state.

So I've been weeding and doing all sorts of work outside as well as wiping crevasses and disturbing homes spiders have had for generations kind of like Daenerys  but without benefit of dragon.

The would-be graduate is helping out mostly un-begrudgingly. She didn't notice me noticing her sigh of relief when she spied me scrubbing her bathroom sink.

When I advised her that her bathroom was her responsibility, she said, "But you already did it."

I informed her I'd stopped at the sink and you would have thought I'd pulled a bag of Cheerios away from a starving baby. Yesterday, I cleaned the upstairs floors, and today I waxed them.

I haven't waxed them in a while. Both she and Jeff complain when I do because they don't believe that wooden floors should shine. Left to clean our floors, those two would have to dust bunnies biting their ankles before they'd go in search of a broom.

Also, it was a freshly waxed floor that was the beginnings of Alison's potty mouth. She was somewhere in that pudgy age of 2-4 when she still wore what we called "dog ear" ponytails -- two rather than just one down her back. She was running from one end of the hallway to the other, building up speed so she could slide a little bit.

Prior to the wax job, she'd get a few feet and squeal like a little girl. Post the wax job, she literally took flight, and landed on her backside. At which point, she exclaimed, "Jesus Christ!" with perfect inflection for the occasion. (Unless it was my mother who heard her; had that occurred, her backside would have gotten another slap or 12.

She's two days away from graduating from high school and 15 days into her 18th year. What did she do when she learned I'd waxed the floors?

https://www.facebook.com/cheryl.reed1/posts/10216760208391174?notif_id=1558384947607987&notif_t=video_processed




No comments: