Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Joke's on You

Inspired by Ginny Reed, who every day put a little note in her daughter's lunch box, I've been sending notes with Ali's lunch since she started Kindergarten. I can't remember if it was late in first grade or early in second that she said to me, "Mom, can you stop sending notes? It's kind of embarrassing."

I stopped, but I wasn't happy about it. "Stupid boys at the lunch table," I grumbled.

A few months ago, she asked me if I could start up again, but this time, maybe it would be better if I sent jokes instead of notes. So of course, I complied.

She has hot lunch at least once a week, and sometimes two, so she doesn't always bring her lunch, and I don't have to come up with a joke every day.

Still eschewing peanut butter and every sandwich sans cheeseburgers and hot dogs, Ali usually takes pizza, pizza rolls or chicken nuggets, along with a container of applesauce and a dessert.

She sometimes has pot stickers or tacos and she's usually the envy of the cold sandwich crowd, including the three boys she sits with. Sometimes, she confided the other day, the boys purposefully forget their lunch because they know she'll share with them. One day this week, she took one slice of leftover pizza and one leftover Taco Bell taco. The boys nearly went wild.

But I digress, a couple of weeks ago, Ali asked if I could put a pencil in her lunch box, along with the joke, because, "you, know, I might want to tell you something about it."

"You want to give me feedback?" I asked.

"Yeah! 'Cause, we'll, no offense, but today's joke...it just didn't make any sense," she said. "No offense."

So I give you a sample of jokes from Mom and feedback from the Ali Cat. Remember, she's 8, so the jokes are geared for 8-year-olds, and I've not corrected spelling:

1. Why was the baby ant confused?
Punchline: Because all of his uncles were ants!
Ali feedback: "ant that funny!"

2. Where is the ocean the deepest?
Punchline: On the bottom!
Ali feedback: Huh?

3. How do rabbits travel?
Punchline: by hareplane!
Ali feedback: "Halairius!"

4. What do you call a funny book about eggs?
Punchline: A yolk book.
Ali feedback: "That's a funny yolk!"

5. Why was the broom late for school?
Punchline: It overswept.
Ali feedback: Funny!

6. What do lazy dogs do for fun?
Punch line: they chase parked cars!
Ali feedback: Ha Ha Ha

Got any great jokes suitable for 2nd grade? I have a month of school left...

2 comments:

Dana said...

Here's one of Brandie's favorites. Keep in mind that she's 5.

Why did the chicken cross the playground?

To get to the other slide!

She laughs, and laughs, and laughs!

Dana

Cheryl said...

Kids laughing makes me laugh.. send more!

Today's: Why did the banana go to the doctor?

He wasn't peeling well.