Sunday, March 16, 2008

PhotoShoot Sunday 16March08

I watched the movie, "Juno" this week. I had seen the previews months ago but we hadn't gotten around to seeing it on a date night, and I had the chance to play hooky of sorts from work Friday and sneaked in to see it with my boss and a couple of other friends from work.

I was prepared for it to be fun. But it turned out to be a tear-jerker that reminded me how much I miss my dad. So in the zeal of some weekend Spring Cleaning, I found some old shots of him. My melancholy got started, I think, by my friend Scott at work who was making some fun of my squirrel days and remarked that my dad was a good looking guy. That naturally led to how old is he, which led to that awkward moment where you admit you're an orphan and your friend doesn't know quite what to say. So then I go to "Juno" and sit through some scenes where the dad could have been my father, and I was done in.

The shots today include one of my all-time favorites -- the shot of Dad and his brothers. I think James Dean must have known them. It had to be on Uncle Bill's wedding day because he's the one wearing the flower. My dad is on the left. Next to him is Uncle Eddie, who along with Larry on the end liked to blow stuff up (they stole dynamite from the coal mines) and hopped trains to do wild boy stuff in Terre Haute when it was Sin City. Jack is in the middle. He suffered some mental health issues when I was little and I never really got to know him but back in the day, I'm told he was fun. Bill is the flower child -- a Viet Nam vet who traveled the world and turned Republican on us. (heavy sigh) Don't they look like trouble?!

The other is the only proof I had that my dad ever played cards. The Fundamentalists frown on it, you know, but when you're in uniform, I guess you get a pass. My dad was stationed in Germany and on his way to a plane bound for Korea in 1953 when a sergeant came running and said "Unload 'em. The Armistice is signed."

Dad never talked about his time overseas. But I stole a bunch of old photos and documents a few years before he died, sat him down, interviewed him and made him an album of those days. He said he didn't play poker after he came home because he liked it too much when he was in Germany.

Unfortunately, his apparent card skills didn't translate to me. On the bus trip Friday to our work R&R, I got smoked at euchre.

The last shot is my Dad with Ali back when she had an ounce of fat on her bones. He loved her then; he would have just been head over heels now. OK, enough of this.

In other news:

Congrats to my friend, Lisa, who celebrates three years of incorporation and her thriving Gracie Communications.

Congrats are also due to Jonathan Swain, but it's his news, so call him if you want to know. The last time I outed news I thought was old, it involved Lisa and John, and I outed it to Jonathan. So I'm gun shy. But it's GREAT news.... Go Hilary!

I'm not usually one to forward videos, nor am I an Oprah devotee. But she's has a winner with this segment on a guy who offers some great life lesson advice. It comes to me courtesy of my friend Jackie who was too scared to watch it. Her doctor had sent it to her and she was afraid he was either telling her she was dying or breaking up with her and either way, she didn't want to know. It's well worth the click. P.S. Jackie: you're not dying or losing your doctor...

And finally, one particularly bitter morning I was driving Alison to school and she asked if Spring was ever going to come. I told her the old adage about March coming in like a lion and out like a lamb. On the way home from school Friday, she said looked around and said, "Mom, is it time for that lamb yet?" Amen, sister, I said. Cross your fingers that it is, indeed, finally time for the lamb. At least in Indiana. My family in Maine is still suffering. Air fare to Indy is cheap right now...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Cheryl. You really know how to hit below the belt!! I had just come home from school for a quick lunch and decided to check email. I opened this and there is Dad and your story. I now have to do major repair to my face before I can go back to work. Kaitlin called to ask me to bring her stuff for choir when I return to school, and Johnney brought the phone in to me. He returned a 2nd time, I know to try and figure out what was wrong with me!! Deb told me you were going to be home this weekend--we're going to be in Florida. Kaitlin is singing at Disney with the elementary choir. I'm sorry to miss you guys, but happy to be in Florida. WE definitely can't afford the trip, but had already put the non-refundable deposit down when Dennis got laid off last summer. Oh well, such is life! Take care, and I hope to see you guys soon. Love ya! N

Anonymous said...

Just got a chance to read this now and it brought tears to my ears...I lost my Dad at 19 (in 1981) and still miss him every day. Beautiful, beautiful pictures (the earlier ones remind me of LIFE Magazine shots) and the one with Alison (who still looks the exact same with the same impish look as much as an infant can look impish, you, however, look completely different without that Lil' Orphan Annie haircut...long hair suits you well;) made me wish again that my Dad would have at least seen my kids (although I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that he met both of them before they got here and was pleased. I am also equally certain that dead people all hang out together so when Frank Sinatra died, I am convinced my Dad and his best buddy Sam Dover went to a local Heaven piano bar for scotch on the rocks and to watch Frank sing). Eli was born in 2007, which was the year my Dad would have turned 100 YEARS OLD. Yes, he was a bachelor until he was 53 and had me at 55, so elderly parents run in my family;) Thanks for your blog entry and the memories it brought.