Sunday, January 11, 2009

Good Grief! I see two great pumpkins, Charlie Brown!


Alison watched the Charlie Brown Christmas special one too many times over the holiday apparently. Whenever things don't go her way these days, she says, "Good Grief!" She had a bit of a stuffy nose right now so it's extra funny to hear the expression.

She's also fascinated with why Charlie Brown is always referred to as both Charlie and Brown. Lucy gets just a first name, and so does everyone else. Doesn't seem fair to her, she says. I reminded her that he is the title character. She's pondering whether that's a sufficient reason to saddle him with both names.

She spent the night Saturday with Jenna, who began the sleepover with a bang. Literally. She fell down the basement stairs and still had quite a goose egg on the back of her head this morning. She seemed to recover well enough for the girls to have a good time, though.

She was at Amer's because Jeff and I attended the Angie's List holiday party. It's good to have it after the madness that is December. They're a wacky bunch at the List, and this year's party was envisioned as an 80's prom. So it was a dress up affair, but retro.

Jeff rented a great leisure suit from Broad Ripple vintage, which came with aviator glasses and a huge necklace. I opted to bring the girls out and wore a skimpy black vest with a spangly long skirt and a velvet bow tie that looked like a choker.

Alison's review of our ensembles:

"Oooh, Daddy. You look just like they did in the olden days!" (how she's clued into the 80's, don't know -- plus thinking the 80's are olden days is enough to make me say, "good grief!")

"Mom, you look really pretty, but, no offense: I can see your boobs."

She's taken to saying "no offense" to shield people from hurt feelings. She sometimes uses it appropriately. I have yet to train her on the "If you can't say something nice, come sit next to me." Oh, wait. That's "If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all." Good thing I haven't trained her yet.

Anyway, we looked pretty rad, let me tell you. Groovy, too.

Jeff was nominated for best dressed from among the 500 or so people there. He didn't win -- company workers won, but it was a big deal to be nominated in that crowd. My good friend Shelly Towns won for best dressed 80s girl and she so deserved it. Side pony tail, leggings and bright pink eye shadow... she was stylin'. Another cool work friend, Cas Riddle and her boyfriend Joey were nominated for best dressed couple. they were dressed like the 20s. They were stunning -- but camp won over beauty and grace somehow.

It was a fun evening and my first prom that featured uh, after-prom activities that crossed the G rating line. Yes. I was that much of a nerd in the olden days...

There was even a flowery arch with a photographer there to take prom pictures. I might send ours along when I get it if I don't look too goofy. Word around the prom was that if Jeff was a late '70s, early '80s pimp, I was his, uh, staff..........

Sadly, no one added, "No offense!" :)

3 comments:

Dana said...

Oh, pictures are a must! Post 'em!


Dana

Anonymous said...

Voila!

Dana said...

Great photos! Look like a wonderful time.

Dana