Sunday, August 3, 2008

Bug World




I got home the other day to find Jeff, Alison, Hannah and Alex having a hey day on the front porch.

They'd found this huge insect there and were trying to figure out what it was. Jeff thought it was a cicada due in part to the one I'd accidentally murdered while working in the yard under the magnolia tree. I think it's just a big-ass hairy moth. It was a bit freaky.

We'd made sure it was OK and relocated before the kids moved on.

Then on Friday, Alison got to babysit Alex and Hannah's caterpillars. They were dangling from the side of a little mesh tent that came with the kit Karin had ordered weeks before. Team Ogden is on vacation, and one of the cocoons had started to quiver, so they thought the emergence might not be as far off as they'd earlier hoped. We agreed to keep watch and feed the little buggers if they made an appearance.

This morning I woke up to hear Jeff and Ali cooing and gooing in wonder as the butterflies did, indeed shrug off their encasements. It was really cool, and we all lamented how sad it was that Hannah and Alex were missing it. (Karin's already re-ordered, so they'll get their moment. But still.)

It's difficult to get a good picture of them because of the netting, but it's way cool. We've sliced up clementines and put some sugar water in the bottom of the tent so they can eat. Wish me luck that they'll live long enough for Hannah and Alex to get to see them. The CD that comes with the kit claims they'll live four weeks in the tent. We'll see...

Last night on the way to the Indians' game, Alison asked us what we thought she might to be when she grows up. For years, she's wanted to be a paleontologist, but she's gotten away from that recently.

Turns out she and Alex have discussed their futures (they're still adamantly opposed to being thought of as boyfriend and girlfriend.) And much as they sometimes quarrel, they're pretty close. I asked her once why she hadn't gone swimming at camp that day. Turns out Alex had a cold and didn' t get in the pool.

"If Alex can't swim, I don't swim," she said.

So she announces to the car, "When I grow up, I'm going to work at the White River State Park Butterfly Garden," she said.

"Really?" I said -- it was one I hadn't heard.

"Yeah, me and Alex have been talking about it, and it would be so cool!" she said.

"Is Alex going to work there, too?" I asked.

"No, he's going to work with the monkeys over in the zoo next door," she said firmly, as if it were truly all worked out.

"So, you and Alex, aye? Together all the time, even when you're grown up."

"Uh. Yeah. Of course," she said.

I'm going to have to keep a sharper eye on that Alex....

No comments: