Monday, January 21, 2008

Oh you disbelievers!


For those of you who don't believe that real people actually consume varmints of the woods, or more pointedly, that I ever did, I give you this photographic proof. It was taken when I was about 4-years-old, I think. It was during squirrel season, of course, and we were showing off the bounty of the hunt. I'm the one closest to my Dad and apparently most proud of my catch. (The kids didn't go hunting; we just showed off the catch before they became dinner.) I'm not sure how old my brothers were before they got to go with the big boys, but from the look on Donnie's face, I'm guessing this either wasn't his year, or he'd been left behind on this particular hunt. While I've renounced squirrel, plenty of folks back home still enjoy the delicacy -- among others. I should organize a trip for all my city friends...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OH MAH GAWD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT'S AN INFANT HOLDING A DEAD ANIMAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I SURRENDER MY DISBELIEF.

Anonymous said...

Now, you and Mitt Romney have something in common. It seems that his hunting experience was limited to, in his words, "....small varmints, if you will."

See!!?? You can now relate to the rich, Mormon guy.

Patrick

I'm Cas. said...

There's a squirrel SEASON?
Really?

Is it like...wabbit season?

Cheryl said...

There's a season for just about everything, Cas. Haven't you been paying attention to Sarah Palin?

For the record, you can also make gravy out of just about anything you can shoot in the woods.

You've got your squirrel gravy, your rabbit gravy, your gravy to go with the deer and turkey. If it flies, crawls, runs or swims,it can be shot, stabbed, strangled or trapped. Gravy is the natural next step...

Or so I've heard.... Cheryl