Wednesday, June 5, 2019

For those of you keeping track, the 60 tacos we ordered for Alison's grad party were gone within 90 minutes. The gazillion sauce packets that came with the crunchy treats are still taking up space in my pantry. Let me know if you need any. I'm tempted to return them but I suspect they'll be trashed and that seems like such a waste...

Most of the party has been put away by now. There are a few balloons still hovering a few inches from the floor as Ali debates whether to inhale the helium or see how long they can float. She had a hit the other day and was disappoint that her squeaky voice didn't last long. Guess it was low-grade helium...

This should be my last post about Alison's robed departure from Herron High School and it's more of a thank you than it is another tribute to her moving from one milestone to the next.

She's working on her own thank you notes. Let me know if you deserve on and don't get one. She reminded me yesterday that I'm her parent, not her friend. I asked her for a definition.

"Well, I like you like I like my friends, and you can be friends with my friends," she said. "But you're my parent so I have to do the stuff you tell me to do. I don't have to do stuff my friends tell me I have to do."

I'm using that belief for as long as she has it. Hence: let me know if you don't get a deserved thank you note as she's been instructed to get those out this week.

In the meantime, here are mine. Thank you to:




  • Everyone who gave my little graduate a positive, passing thought.
  • Everyone who ignored the weeds in my flower beds.
  • Neighbors who have watched Ali grow up and came by with hand-made gifts that were perfect, unexpected and wonderful:
    • "It gets cold up there," said Jerry from next door who knitted an infinity scarf
    • "I would have changed some things if I had to do it over again," said Patty who embroidered a huge bath sheet with Ali's name and the Purdue logo.
  • Those who came even though the Captain forgot to mention it to you. (Men!)
  • Those who gave things that Ali squirreled away before I saw them.
  • Whoever broke the pinata before Aunt La decided she deserved another turn. #Dangerous
  • Lois, our newest neighbor who let us use her tree for the pinata and has yet to find candy in her grass. (I think we got most of it, but the green Jolly Ranchers are tricky buggers.)
  • Everyone who came and brought awesome books and tee-shirts and helped fund Alison's next adventures. Fingers crossed that I'm more excited for her than sad for me as it unfolds this summer.








No comments: