Sunday, December 21, 2014

Stockings are hung

It's four days before Christmas,

And all through my house,

There's packers a stirring,

It's no place for a mouse.

The stockings are hung, by the chimney,

But who cares?

No hope that St. Nicholas soon would be there.

Tonight we'll be nestled all snug in our beds,

With visions of Maine dancing in our heads.

No 'kerchief for mama, but a nightcap for Dad.

It'll be hard to settle down for any kind of nap.

Cause out on the lawn there's such a glimmer, a beacon so bright.

That wrapped up magnolia keeps us up all night!

OK. Enough of the bastardization of Clement C. Moore. I'm sure he wouldn't approve. Plus, we've learned to shield ourselves from the tree. Hope the neighbors did, too.

I'm sure you have as much to do as I do, so I'll keep this short -- the better to keep on the good list.

1. The Young Actors Theatre board of directors overlooked my recent stage faux pas to let me join the group! Karin glided in easily as I expected. So look for all kinds of missives from me in the future about how great this organization is. And mark your calendars in January -- January 9, 10 and 16 -- for Ali's next play: "Judgement: Beauty and the Beast." Others in the January line up are "Conscience: A Pinocchio Story;" "Trust: A Pied Piper Story;" "Pride: The Emperor's New Clothes;" and "Fear: A Red Riding Hood Story."

Ali is in only the one, but you can't go wrong with a night out at the Athenaeum to see one of the shows. And yes, they're all there. I checked this time...

2. If I was ever going to be a cat burglar, now's my time. I burned off most of my finger pads trying to help with costuming for the various plays. If you go and marvel at how great a random costume is, you can just assume I made that one. Actually, it'll be the work of Beck. He's 15 and amazing. He'll be winning Oscars for costuming in the next few years.

That's about it from here. All is well. Home fires were burning until today when I decided to make a fire. Unlike the last time I tried on my own, I actually tried to open the flue, but something fell down and clunked and the damn thing wouldn't open. Jeff took a quick look and quickly took on a bunch of soot, which was kind of funny but didn't solve our flue issue. We did, however, have a fireplace full of Santa Claus there for a while.

We'll get around to addressing the problem in the new year, I suspect. The flue is likely unchanged from when it was installed back in the 1950s or so, so it's due an upgrade, I suppose. I'm just glad no critters fell down on me.
Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanza and Happy New Year to you all! Here's a little angel to send you off to the new year.

I've been trying to get her to re-sit for me, but she's resistant...

No comments: