Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Arrangements

I asked my sister Donna what would you wear to bury David Bickel. We agreed that denim needs to rule the day. He'll be wearing them, and so will we, I guess.

For those of you who wanted to know, there will be a short grave site event at Friendly Grove Church at 2 p.m. Thursday. I say event because I don't know what to expect, really, other than to know for certain that there will not be a long-winded sermon. Knowing David, he'd throw a fist through the coffin and tell the preacher to shut-up.

This I do know: my brothers started a tradition when my Grandpa Bickel died. As we all left the cemetery, they got out their shovels and they did one last thing for him. When my father died, it was a larger group who took on that task. When my mother followed, a larger group still.

My city friends don't really get it. Hell, maybe I don't either. But I'll be bringing my shovel.

Thanks for all your kind words and thoughts. I've been asked to also say that if you feel compelled to "do something" please make a charitable contribution to the charity of your choice rather than sending flowers.

If there was committee working to cure obstinance, I'd donate to that. I'll probably send something to the Heart Association instead.

No comments: