Sunday, May 31, 2020

Weeds

Sometimes when I'm toiling in the yard, it's because it needs it. But sometimes it's because I'm trying to overcome a mental challenge, calm down from being angry or I'm just in need of peace.

It usually works. But not this weekend.

We can all agree that murder is wrong, can't we? And when it's perpetrated and protected by those sworn to protect and serve, it's especially egregious? Property damage isn't murder, but it's also wrong, right?

I understand how sometimes people get carried away. But I worry that much of the violence we've seen across the country and even here in Indianapolis was instigated, physically this weekend, by people who have an interest in civil unrest or even war. Peaceful protesters were on edge, and many had already gone home  when the first glass was shattered. For those who lingered past the peaceful dismissal, the act of destruction  triggered more acts and that quickly raged out of control.

I've never had to fear police. I've never had to fear whether my child could drive, engage in horseplay with her friends, run down the street, go bird watching in a public park and have to pay for those acts with her life. But people of color do. Every day. In America.

Kneeling in silent, peaceful protest in the hopes of calling attention to this terrible inequality was met with hate and anger from the highest levels of our government.

Now, after yet another black man was killed by police, and in the middle of a pandemic where it seemed people of all colors were working together to help each other through it, we are waking up to burnt buildings, broken windows and more death.

I don't have enough weeds in my garden to get my brain to understand how humans can treat each other so badly.

Many of my friends are speaking out, protesting, posting poignant phrases. I haven't done much of that because I don't know that it matters what I say or post. But I keep hearing that phrase of "evil persists when good men say and do nothing" in its face.

I told a group of my friends that I'm not joining a peace processional today because even though it's outside, I suspect it'll be crowded. There's a part of me that wants it to be crowded to illustrate that there are people of all color standing up for the equal treatment of all. There's another part of me that worries we'll see even more cases of COVID-19 because someone in that crowd shares it.

I'm not mingling with strangers these days. I'm barely mingling with friends and family. COVID-19 is as real as racism, and I want no part of either.

Is that saying and doing nothing in the face of evil, or is it responsible parenting? I don't know.

I'm feeling broken this weekend, friends. I suspect  you are, too.

Let me know if you want me to weed for you. And somehow, lets find a way to weed out racism from each of our lives. It's insidious. It's evil. It's hate. Most of us don't want any part of it for ourselves or for others. Right?

I'm seriously asking.











No comments: