Saturday, February 22, 2020

Nashville Day 2

Much, I'm sure, to the Captain's chagrin, I've been listening to classic country music since we got home from Nashville. It's his fault for finding a classic station on Sirius radio that carries a show called Willie's Roadhouse and playing it as we drove home Sunday.

I'd never heard some of the songs, but many of them brought me back to hanging out with my sister Donna when she she was first married to Jim. Jim had a collection of 8-track tapes and we must have listened to them a lot. Charlie Pride, Willie, of course, Loretta Lynn, vintage Dolly, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Tammy Wynette...it was like going back in time.

Jeff's dad had a few of the albums that let Jeff know some of the songs, but he mostly indulged me with something I didn't even know I wanted.



Also, I was fresh from the Country Music Hall of Fame. Eric and Tracy and I spent a couple of hours there while Jeff went to a craft beer release. They're not big country music fans, but were intrigued. Not going would be kind of like skipping the Eiffel Tower in Paris or Buckingham Palace in London, right?

Nashville is quite the hopping place day or night.  The Hall of Fame museum is massive. Elvis' gold-plated Cadillac was there, as were more guitars than I could count but Eric probably did. The number of stage dresses and outfits were amazing, but not more amazing than their tiny sizes.

The museum also displays the cornfield from the set of Hee Haw complete with some of the outfits of the cast who stood there and told truly awful jokes. Hee Haw was must-see-TV for my family long before that tagline was dreamed up.

We left the museum and wandered around downtown Nashville a while before we decided we needed to refresh ourselves at the Bourbon Street Blues and Boogie Bar. At 2 in the afternoon, it was full and there was live music rocking the place out. It was tremendous.

We wandered some more and had to run to meet our shuttle. Well, in truth, Tracy ran. Eric and I were slower and took advantage of her waving down the driver. Jeff returned from his beer share having made new friends with whom I'm sure he'll be trading beer in the future.

We had ticket for a beer crawl, which was to begin from Alan Jackson's bar on Broadway. We got there only to discover after a long wait that the bar crawl had been postponed for another two hours. So we created our own crawl. We didn't crawl far, as the bar we started in (and most others it seemed) was three-stories and each floor had a different band or singer.  Some had full stages, some had tiny squares of space big enough for a stool, an amp and a microphone.

Most of the musicians covered major hits, but occasionally they'd break out an original song. We ended up having a late dinner at Puckett's, which included a young woman singing. Her name is SJ McDonald, and she looked about 16. I hope she makes it big. We can say we heard her first.

We stopped off at 450 North Brewing just south of Columbus. We're definitely going to go back. At 3 p.m. or so it was nearly full. We had only a snack of shredded beef nachos, but my eyes kept wandering to nearby tables full of pizza and cheese curds and such. It's not for vegetarians or people who can stick to a diet, but you've never had nachos like these.

It was a great trip, but followed as normally happens, with a lot of work. The highlight of the week might have been going with my friend Tina Noel at near the crack of dawn to listen to our friend Lisa Vielee speak to a packed house about being vulnerable in the workplace.

If you're like me, you think highly of your friends. I mean, it takes a while to make a friend, so you want to have good ones, so of course you should think highly of them. But when you see them in a new setting -- as in addressing a packed house of people who arranged their day to hear what they have to say, it's an interesting new light.

Lisa was awesome. If she wasn't already my friend, I'd actively seek her out to be one. She has great taste in shoes, too.

Friday, Jeff came home and was greeted with a blast of classic country music. He was on the phone with Alison, and I'm certain they were both rolling their eyes and poking a little fun. The were, in fact, talking because Jeff had been talking at work about a song from some new (or old) group that either Ali or Jeff had tipped the other off to. As I've said before, my brain doesn't remember any other music than country. All I remember is that it's a group that sounds a little bit like Devo. What I remember about Devo is they wore hats that looked like terra cotta plant pots. Right? That's Devo.

Anyway, we turned down the tunes to talk about Spring Break. We've made no decisions, but for that fact that we'll be together. Which is enough for me. I am, as my bio tells you, a simple country girl at heart.

 If we road trip by car, though, I'm going to insist on a few miles to educate them on the classics.










No comments: